Introduction to our newsgroup
Greetings from our newsgroup family, in which we discuss thyroid and related disorders and treatment. Posts from newbies are always welcome, and there are no stupid questions. The emphasis in our group is on support.
Our participants range from those who just discovered they have a thyroid problem, or suspect they do, to those who have been in the group for years. We help each other and keep learning together.
Some posts are off-topic with humo(u)r and other discussions, and “OT” (off-topic) is usually in the subject line for these posts. This way, individuals don’t have to read non-pertinent information. News servers can also be programmed not to download posts with “OT” in them. Feel free to join in, though — fun can be part of getting well.
We hope this website is helpful, but please feel free to post any questions in our newsgroup. No question is too basic or too embarrassing. You’ll find a pool of knowledge in alt.support.thyroid, as well as many personal experiences to be shared.
About this site
With so many informative sites already online, why add another one about thyroid conditions? The answer is in part because there are so many sites. We created this site to:
- Make reliable information on a variety of subjects easier to find
- Compile research on subjects that lacked readily accessible current information
- Introduce our newsgroup
Since we still have individual opinions, we’ve included only subjects that thyroid patients generally agree on.
Created in 2003, this website is an updated and expanded version of the 2001 site at thyroid.bravepages.com. We plan to update our Topics pages as new references are found, and to add material about other topics later.
The purpose of our website is to add to what the newsgroup offers. We’re still at alt.support.thyroid to discuss whatever comes up, and — sometimes — to provide different points of view.
While we advocate patient education, the information here is not intended as a substitute for medical care. We are not doctors, and we do not provide medical advice. We are not legally responsible for how site visitors use the information at this site. Your use of this site signifies acceptance of this disclaimer.
In our newsgroup, misinformation is sometimes posted among the various opinions. (See the Trolls section on the Posting Guidelines page.) It helps to become familiar with the posters and to read different opinions, both in the newsgroup and at the resources linked to from this website.
Please consult with your doctor regarding any decisions that might affect your health.
Alt.support.thyroid thanks the following people and companies:
- Country Stream Internet Services for providing web hosting and technical support.
- Rodney Pont, for his database and PHP work.
- The website team members, who contributed ideas and feedback, researched articles, and checked details.
- Mary Shomon, who first provided the idea and home for our web pages. See thyroid-info.com for some of Mary’s links.
- Mary Brennan, who created the first (but no longer in existence) alt.support.thyroid website.
- Robert Tait, who started the alt.support.thyroid newsgroup in 1996. Read about it in the alt.support.thyroid interview with Mary Shomon.
Webmaster: Lois Summers